Thursday, January 17, 2008

Second Week, Second Impressions

Buddhist Temple in Yeoju (여주), southeast of Seoul




View of the Namgang River



Rally in front of the Japanese Embassy on Comfort Women Issue

When I listened to Dr. Na Young Lee’s presentation on Korean comfort women, I was appalled by the harsh accounts and horrific experiences left behind by Japanese colonial rule. The fact that Japanese government hasn’t officially apologized or gave reparations to these comfort women is even more devastating. I personally appreciated how this course coincidentally scheduled the class to attend lecture and to rally about this issue in front of the Japanese embassy on the same day. As a first time participant in a demonstration, I thought this was a great experience for me to see how an NGO organizes and rallies on an issue.



I held a board with a quote that questioned and protested against paying respects to “Class A” War Criminals at the Yasukuni Shrine.




NGO office on Comfort Women Issue

Joint Security Area (JSA) at Panmunjom and DMZ

I observed the division between these two countries as seen in photograph 6 and 7 at Panmunjom. I thought I stepped into a movie scene from Park Chan Wook’s Joint Security Area (JSA) and the fact that I was here at the most heavily militarized zone in the world felt surreal to me. I was cautioned not to make any hand gestures to the North Koreans because we were being watched as we are watching them. The North Koreans might use these hand gestures as part of its propaganda promoting communism. As of this date, the North and South hasn't signed a peace treaty and are still technically at war.


Next to a South Korean soldier inside the building where the armistice was signed.


Bridge of No Return

No comments: